ONLINE HOME STUDY COURSE
About this Course
This home study training program is intended for pharmacists practicing in a state or country without special prescribing authorities or without a state-specific training program.
This program includes background, review of methods, contraception service procedures, patient education, service implementation, resources for both pharmacists and patients, and opportunities for advocacy and providing services.
Earn up to 2 contact hours (0.2 CEUs) of ACPE-accredited continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit.
If you are a pharmacist in a state with special prescribing authorities, see our list of state-specific courses or contact us for the appropriate course accepted by your state board of pharmacy.
Registration & Course Fee
- Pharmacists $150
- Pharmacy students/others $100
Type of CPE Activity
Lecture presentation with interactive questions and clinical case applications.
Upon completing this course, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss the impact of barriers to contraceptive use.
- Describe pharmacist procedures for contraception services.
- Identify appropriate screening assessments for the various methods of contraception.
- Apply the medical eligibility criteria for contraceptive use to individual patients.
- Provide accurate patient counseling about the mechanism, effectiveness, benefits, risks, and instructions for use for contraception methods.
- Assist patients in selecting method(s) of contraception.
- Manage side effects and refer for further evaluation when appropriate.
- Implement contraception prescribing in a pharmacy practice setting.
Sally Rafie, PharmD, BCPS, APh, NCMP, FCCP
- Pharmacist Specialist, UC San Diego Health
- Assistant Clinical Professor, UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences (w/s)
- Founder and Advanced Practice Pharmacist, The Pharmacists Clinic
- Founder, Birth Control Pharmacist
Faculty and Program Planning Committee Disclosures
Sally Rafie, PharmD serves as a Clinical Advisory Board Member for Afaxys, Inc and Speaker for Therapeutics MD. All other individuals involved in the development of this material declare no conflicts of interest or financial interests in any product or service mentioned in this activity, including grants, employment, gifts, stock holdings, and honoraria.
Completing the Course & Obtaining Credit
After registration for this activity, you will receive an email with the course login. Retain this email for access to the course and credit completion.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) through the joint providership of University Learning Systems and Birth Control Pharmacist. University Learning Systems is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. ACPE Universal Activity Numbers are: 0741-9999-23-033-H01-P. This program provides 2.0 contact hours (0.2 CEUs) of continuing education credit for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians. No fractional hours of credit will be given.
Note: Registration fees are non-refundable.
To schedule a web-based or in-person live training session, contact us.
If you are a pharmacist in another state, contact us for the appropriate course accepted by your state board of pharmacy.