Self-Administered Hormonal Contraception: Pharmacist Protocol Basics
This course has been developed to meet the California State Board of Pharmacy requirement to furnish self-administered hormonal contraception per statewide protocol as established by SB493. This introductory course will present the public health background, review of contraceptive methods, protocol procedures, screening, application of the medical eligibility criteria, method counseling, product selection, patient education, and resources for both pharmacists and patients. This course is intended for pharmacists who plan to furnish contraceptives directly to patients. It is estimated to take two hours to complete the course, assessment, and evaluation — all online. Two continuing education hours will be awarded upon course completion.
Registration & Course Fee
The course registration fee is $129. This is the best value compared to other online training programs for pharmacists on hormonal contraception.
Upon completing this course, the participant will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the scope and impact of unintended pregnancy.
- Describe pharmacist procedures for furnishing self-administered hormonal contraception under protocol.
- Identify appropriate screening assessments for the various methods of contraception.
- Apply the medical eligibility criteria for contraceptive use to individual patients.
- Deliver effective communications appropriate for patients seeking contraception.
- Pharmacist Specialist, UC San Diego Health
- Assistant Clinical Professor, UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences (w/s)
- Founder and Advanced Practice Pharmacist, The Pharmacists Clinic
- Founder, Birth Control Pharmacist
Completing the Course & Obtaining Credit
After you register for the course, you will receive an email with instructions for completing the course content, assessment questions, and evaluation. Please allow 30 days for the continuing education certificate to be emailed to you following course completion.
University of California San Diego Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (#209) is accredited by the California Accreditation of Pharmacy Education (CAPE) as a recognized provider of continuing pharmacy education. The course expiration date is July 1, 2020.
The California State Board of Pharmacy recognizes CAPE accredited program units for pharmacist license renewal. If you hold a license from another state, please check with that state’s board of pharmacy for eligibility of CAPE units.
Note: Registration fees are non-refundable.